Monday, September 15, 2008

Northern Ireland politician's son sentenced for wife beating

From BBC news

The son of Ulster unionist MLA George Savage has been sentenced to six months in prison for beating up his wife. George Samuel Savage of Dromore Road in Donaghcloney was convicted of the assault earlier this year.

As the 42-year-old was being led from the dock at Belfast Crown Court, he pointed at Mr Justice Hart and said 'not guilty'. He was also given an additional two months for assaulting a child who at the time was in his care.

Savage attacked his wife on several occasions on dates between December 2001 and January 2006. Speaking after her ex-husband was sentenced, Francis Savage said: "I'm glad he got a custodial sentence for everything he put me through. "I've started to rebuild my life and this is now the final chapter of the past so I can now get on with my life."

Savage was acquitted of more serious charges against his wife during his trial held earlier this year at Craigavon Crown Court.

No comments: