Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Ottawa, ON man sentenced to 5 years for beating of girlfriend

Man sentenced to five years for attack on ex-girlfriend
Tim Shufelt, The Ottawa Citizen Published: Wednesday, August 06, 2008


OTTAWA - Bernard Momprevil was sentenced to five years in prison Wednesday morning for a vicious attack on his ex-girlfriend that left her with a blood clot on her brain, broken bones, and psychological trauma.

In recounting the facts, Justice David Wake called the assault a "brutal beating which caused her to fear for her life."

"There are no signs of remorse from the accused that I can discern," Judge Wake said, adding that the prospects for rehabilitation are slim.

Mr. Momprevil was convicted of 15 charges, including assault causing bodily harm, for an incident on Aug. 10, 2007. After weeks of harassment, Mr. Momprevil attacked the woman in her apartment, confining her to a bathroom and her bedroom while he punched her, kicked her in the stomach, and bit her on the face.

"I have difficulty lifting my head in public and cover the right side of my face with make-up and my hair in hopes of covering where I was bitten," the victim said in testimony before Judge Wake passed sentence.

The victim said she was content with the sentence, which amounts to three more years after a two-for-one credit Mr. Momprevil received for spending one year in pretrial custody.

"Now I feel like I can start living," she said. "It's not about him anymore, it's about me."

Mr. Momprevil also faces sentencing Thursday on unrelated charges of possession of crack cocaine and marijuana for the purposes of trafficking, and possession of proceeds of crime.

No comments: