Friday, May 9, 2008

Fake San Antonio cop found guilty of attempted rape of 18 year old

Arthur Berkely, an attempted rapist who used the ruse of being a police officer to attack his 18 year old victim in San Antonio, TX, was found guilty of sexual assault after four hours of jury deliberation by a Bexar County jury Thursday.

Berkley didn't testify in his defense, but told police in a statement that the teenage girl agreed to consensual sex.

The victim took the stand at her sexual assault trail and described what happened after she met Arthur Berkely.

She was only 18 years old when the attack occurred in November 2006. She and her boyfriend got into an argument at a party and he left her there. Alone, she was approached by Berkley, who she said claimed to be an off-duty police officer.

Berkley told the victim she was under arrest for disturbing the peace, and that he had already arrested her boyfriend. He told her he needed to take her to his house so he could pick up some paperwork.


Though upset and frightened, she told the jury at Cadena-Reeves Justice Center she did not question whether or not Berkley was in fact an officer until he made a disturbing comment about her appearance.

"He said, 'I'm a good cop and I take my job very seriously, but I think you’re kind of cute. And that’s when everything clicked…that’s when I knew he wasn’t a cop and I just knew what he wanted."

She tried to get up from off of his bed, but "he grabbed the back of my hair and he was on the side of me and he grabbed my throat and threw me back on the bed."

Berkley held her down on his bed until she told him that she was a virgin, then he gave up trying to rape her. Rape and sexual assault are separate crimes in Texas.

No comments: