Monday, November 9, 2009

Mother of two's killer - her husband - sentenced to life in shooting

A Moss Point, MS man who killed his wife because he thought she would leave him was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole when he turns 65. Circuit Court Judge Robert Krebs sentenced 31 year old Frank Patton to life for the murder by deliberate design of his 30 year old wife Remika February 23, 2008.

Patton at first told police an intruder came in the house and shot both him and his wife. A Moss Point police detective testified that there were no signs of forced entry into the home and the security alarm was set but didn’t go off until after Frank Patton opened the door for police.

When asked if he shot his wife, Frank Patton said: “No. Why would I shoot my wife? I love my wife. I want this to work. I never had anything (in) my life. She gave me a child. She gave me a house, and my credit was messed up. She went and put her name on (a)...truck,” before later adding, “I think she shot herself.”

A forensic pathologist testified that the wife’s gunshot wound to the head was not self-inflicted. Patton's wound to his chest, however, was.

Remika's mother Tammy Tate, said that her son-in-law and daughter no longer slept in the same bedroom or drove to work together, even though they worked in the same shipyard. While they married in April 2004, the man would simply disappear for several days at a time. Tate's last conversation with her daughter ended with his message. “If she ever needed me, to call me anytime. I told her that I love her, and she told me she loved me too.”

Sabrina Austin described her former friend's husband as anti social and said that she wanted a divorce because “She told me she felt like a roommate. She told me she never felt like a wife.”

Remika leavs behind two children, an 8 year old and a 3 year old.

No comments: