Sunday, February 15, 2009

Opinions about relationships

I've decided to write this essay a day late. This is a if not delightful, a welcome break from writing about sexual violence for me.

I've always been interested in eventually finding someone to settle down with, but reading about sexual assault and abuse has made me question power differences and power dynamics inherent in relationships. Things which used to be acceptable for me in relationships are no longer acceptable.

This includes the idea that younger women are suitable partners for myself, and when I say younger, I mean women between legal to 40. This view is because people in that age range are still developing, though not to the same extent as adolescents. I believe that people grow throughout adult life, and not just until they turn 18, 21 or graduate from college. By trying to get with a woman in that age range, I interfere with her development.

My personal view is that anyone legal age to 40 is too young for the purposes that I'm seeking a partner - people in that age range can't help me mature because most of them are likely to be in the same phase of life as myself. I need someone to help me grow and develop, and I believe that most people in that age range need to focus on growth, personal, career, and spiritual development themselves.

I see myself as exploiting the younger woman's lack of knowlege, and yes, immaturity, compared to older women when it comes to relationships. Most women in that age range can't give me what I want - a knowledgable, mature, partner because they do not have enought life experience.

Another view of relationships I've developed is that relationships between family menbers and long term friends must be respected. If someone doesn't respect (or is jealous) about the other person's existing ties to their family, particulary their parents, then that is a big red flag! Parents have been in a person's life many times longer that a "partner" has, and just like in childhood, when someone tries to pull parents out of a person's life, that should be taken as a warning.

No comments: