Thursday, October 2, 2008

Former postmaster sentenced to 17 1/2 years for attempt on ex-wife

Postmaster David Willis of Cornelius, NC was sentenced to 17 ½ years in prison for a murder-for hire scheme hatched so his ex-wife wouldn’t share his retirement pension. Federal authorities (the FBI and US Postal Inspection Service) wiretapped Willis discussing with another postal employee how to kill the ex-wife, April Timmons with antifreeze and also asked about hiring a hit man.

Willis said that “antifreeze, the old formula, tastes as sweet as lemonade. And it will kill your ass real quick. You throw a little lemon juice in it, it’s already orange colored and all you gotta do is drink it – and it doesn’t take that much. Two days later, they croak.”

He complained that half of the $5,000 per month retirement pension would have to go to his ex. “I might have worked for Wal Mart the last 30 years…I can’t live on $2500 a month. I’m going to have to work 30 more years – I can’t stand 30 more years at the post office. I need to retire and enjoy life while I can.”

There is no parole in the federal prison system, and Willis has to serve at least 85% of his sentence.

No comments: