Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Moscow, ID man who killed pregnant wife sentenced to 20 to 40 years in prison

A man who killed his pregnant teacher wife was sentenced to 40 years in prison with parole eligibility after 20 years a week ago. The sentence runs as follows - 15 years fixed for 2 counts of voluntary manslaughter and 5 to 25 years for a single count of 1st degree arson. Parks plead guilty to the charges last spring. He was sentenced in Latah County Superior Court Tuesday, August 3.

Parks strangled Sarah in June 2009 in their Moscow, ID apartment. After she was murdered, along with her 5 months old fetus, Lilly Ann, Parks set the place on fire to cover up the evidence.

Sarah Parks’ family sat in the same room as the man who killed their beloved sister and daughter. Wearing buttons with her picture, they took the stand to reinforce why he needs to be locked up. Sarah’s sister told the court Silas was someone they had welcomed into their hearts, family, and home. She says she didn’t know there was such evil in the world. Sarah’s mother also took the stand to read dozens of letters from devastated students.

Towards the end of the 4 hour sentencing, Park himself took the stand. He said, “[I] failed utterly at my vows as a husband and I’ve failed as a decent human being. The potential in me to explode is scary. I can hardly believe what I’ve done...I love Sarah, I still love Sarah more than life itself. I deserve whatever this court decides to give...I have no desire but to atone for my unforgivable act."

After the sentencing, the victim's mother, Laura Allen, said that "We're very thankful the justice system has followed through."

No comments: