Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chicago man gets 45 years in prison for rape-kidnapping of woman

Chicago man gets 45 years in prison for 2004 kidnapping, rape - Victim escaped from moving car
Tribune staff report
July 17, 2009


A Chicago man was sentenced to 45 years in prison Thursday for kidnapping and repeatedly raping a woman before she escaped, naked, from a moving car. Antwan Turnipseed, 32, avoided a trial scheduled to start Monday by pleading guilty to multiple counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated vehicular hijacking and the attempted murder of the 42-year-old woman on the West Side.

The victim told Cook County Circuit Judge Carol Kipperman that the physical scars from the April 26, 2004, attack have healed, but the emotional ones have not."I fear being alone. ...When I close my eyes, I can smell him. I can see his face," she said. "My life as I once knew it will never be again."

No comments: