Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"British Fritzl" sentenced to 14 years for rape of daughters

Align Left
By Auslan Cramb, Scottish Correspondent Last Updated: 6:34PM GMT 20 Jan 2009

The 72-year-old abused three daughters between 1976 and 1993 and began raping his eldest child when she was 12.

Now 42, she had a baby girl by her father when she was 17 and gave birth to a son six years later. She said yesterday that she hoped he would die in jail. He also raped a younger daughter from the age of eight and continued to abuse her until she was 16.

He was convicted last month of repeatedly raping two daughters and using lewd and libidinous behaviour towards a third.

His eldest daughter, who now lives in Aberdeenshire, went to the police after telling her teenage son the truth about his father during an argument. She said she had been too afraid to speak out beforehand because her father had threatened to shoot her. He raped her once every week or two.

Outside the High Court in Kilmarnock on Tuesday she said she was delighted with the sentence.
She added: "He has ruined my life and that of so many others and I will never be able to forgive him. It is one less paedophile on the streets and one more step on getting my life back together."
She thanked the jury and the judge for the conviction and the sentence.

The woman added: "I am disappointed he did not show any regret or remorse for his actions and did not acknowledge what he has done to me and my family. I hope he rots in jail."

Lady Clark of Calton told the elderly paedophile, who cannot be named in order to protect his victims, that he was guilty of "terrible" offences and criticised his reluctance to admit the impact he had on his daughters' lives.

She said: "You have been found guilty of very serious criminal charges against your daughters. The charges are terrible in their terms.

"You were in a position of trust and your daughters have suffered terribly over the years."
She sentenced him to 14 years in prison on each of the four rape charges and one year in custody for a charge of lewd and libidinous behaviour. The offences took place in Dundee and Fife.

His eldest daughter said he raped her for the first time when her mother was taken to hospital.
She said the attack happened in the early hours of the morning, and was repeated later that morning after her siblings had gone to school.

She added: "Two months later he took me shooting. He had a shotgun and he put me on to the ground and he told me that if I told my mum he would shoot me and say it was an accident."
She assumed until the recent court case, when DNA tests were carried out, that the father of her daughter was her boyfriend at the time. But the tests confirmed that her father was also the father of her first child.

When she gave birth to a son at 23 she knew that it was her father's child because she was not in a relationship.

She told BBC Scotland: "He said to me that if I let anybody know, my daughter would be taken from me, my son would be taken from me as well. "Also my brother and my sisters would be taken from the family because they would go to jail and the family would be broken up and I would get the blame of breaking up a family."

She added that her mother "should have come and spoken to us when he was found guilty.
"I was hoping for her to come over and say to me and my sisters 'I am so sorry this has happened' and maybe just have put an arm around us and given us a cuddle, but no.
"She never did that. She was just interested in him. She stands by him to this day."
She went to the police for the first time two years ago.

No comments: